Saturday, August 22, 2015

Koh Samui Part 2

The second half of my stay in MaeNam was punctuated most notably by the Special Omelette episode.  A memory that has quite literally stayed with me for ever!  Not that it was bad - quite the opposite.

A 'normal' evening in Rasta Baby commenced.  The rather over-hasty announcement that we were having the 'special' resulted in a swift change of tone and a trip, we suspected, on the part of the staff into the jungle to dig up the goods.  Or maybe that's something I've made up since.

The omelette was served with due ceremony and we slathered it in tomato ketchup in the expectation that it was going to taste appalling.  Not that you'd know.  Thanks to the ketchup.  And nothing happened.  We paid the bill and went for a walk.

And then.  The most extraordinary evening/night ensued.  A star-filled dome of sky became the most fantastical thing.  A cat came and joined us on the beach and then came and sat on my table whilst we chatted and hooted.  There were parts of the beach that were eerily desolate and other parts where you could run your fingers through the sand for hours on end - it seemed.  No hippy-speak nonsense about the meaning of the world - just fireworks and fun.

We finally settled back on the balcony - MamaSan was stalking back and forth with a typical scowl on her face.  Something about the generator.  We failed to roll up successfully and thought seriously about getting the kiwis up to do so for us.  I had a shower and upset Jacquie by spraying her with mossy spray.  I slept, at two in the morning, the best sleep I'd had for a long time.

And of course the morning was similarly blissful.  Continued but enhanced relaxation ensued with a vague thought or two that I'd need to leave some time.

And leave I did - after two weeks, the naive exchange of addresses and the clumsy hug or two. It was day 70 and I needed to be in Jakata on day 83.  Not too much of a stretch but a considerable distance by land.   At 5.30am in the morning, I was off, not to return to Koh Samui for another three years or so, under entirely different personal circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment