Saturday, August 22, 2015

Koh Samui Part 1

The return to BKK was pretty uneventful by the sounds of things.  My disdain at other travellers appears to have increased in magnitude - notably around their somewhat clean and well-kept appearances.  So - it was off to Koh Samui - with big ideas about meditation and thai chi in my mind.

My departure was of an afternoon/evening and was punctuated by a 'drive past' by the royal family - something that required all present at the bus stop to be upstanding.  The bus itself was, we subsequently found out, an 'upgrade' and actually allowed a little bit of sleep.  Lots of couples on board and lots of clubbers heading for the delights of Chaweng Beach.

The longest part of the journey, as I remember it, was the boat across to the island.  Maybe I was a touch seasick but I remember thinking 'is that it' and 'maybe that's it'.

The arrival brought me into contact with some 'greasy Italians' and Jacquie.  On the back of a pickup heading for the North of the island.  'Boguns' she called them.  And off we got at MaeNam Villas.  A complex of buildings that surprised and delighted me.  A little balcony, a chair and table and a double bed.  And a bat.  My other memory - which doesn't seem to be noted in my diary is of a shower without a head and a loo without a seat.

Jacquie and I hit it off particularly quickly.  Our first bonding was over a 'green tea' down at Rasta Baby - something that resulted in me passing out in my seat on her balcony.  Rasta Baby was to become a particularly regular haunt.  A Danish girl and her thai boyfriend who would put the grass on your bill and subtly encourage you in the direction of the Special Omelette.  Many an evening was spent there - racking up a huge bill and watching the crazies dance.

Some kiwis next door also became friendly - a couple with a toddler called Joe - on their way back to NZ from Tottenham.  He (the father, not Joe) became our guiena pig for the special omelette - but he was considerably larger than me - not that that held me back - more on that anon.

Motorbikes were another delight.  The first fifteen minutes were notable for ending up in a ditch on my side (memories of that fete and my parents having to administer St John's finest).  But we soon got the hang of it - until a small selection of bikes were impounded by the police for parking offences - an episode that resulted in a new phase of bartering...

Muesli seems to feature large at this time - as do late breakfasts and late lunches.  The occasional bout of homesickness and paranoia and interesting hints about 'out of control daydreaming' that I enjoyed just as much as I was disturbed by.....

And my birthday.  A birthday in Koh Samui punctuated by a phonecall home and the news that Mum was in hospital.  'It's my birthday', I said to my rather distracted father.  'Is that the only reason you called' said he.

No comments:

Post a Comment