Saturday, September 15, 2012

William Hartnell. Patrick Troughton. Jon Pertwee. Tom Baker. Peter Davison. Colin Baker. Sylvester McCoy. Paul McGann. Christopher Eccleston. David Tennant. Matt Smith.

I have, of course, got a variety of other unhealthy obsessions in my back catalogue.

Saturday lunchtime wrestling was a staple of most kids' lives in the 70s.  It was an absolute, un-negotiable feature in our household.  Dad would get home from golf with sticky buns and the TV would go on (the cleaning will have been done by this point....).  No-one didn't know who Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks were in those days.  ('easy...easy...easy').

Later in life, wrestling re-reared its head in the form of WWF.  Now - I blame L entirely for this - his house had cable and, all of a sudden, Wrestlemania and Royal Rumble were late teens (and beyond!) obsessions.  I did profess to prefer The Undertaker.  But, let's face it, any muscle-y man in pants was going to get my attention.  Including twice (or, indeed, three times) live.  Whilst at University.

Star Wars.  Still is.  I can still remember seeing the film for the first time.  Down on the South Coast, co-inciding with a visit to the grandparents.  I can remember my Mum (or perhaps it was, in fact, my Dad) saying, as they fastened my seatbelt in the back of the car afterwards saying "you've still got stars in your eyes, haven't you?".  I would have been no older than five.  I can definitely remember.

Figurines.  AT-ATs. X-Wings.  Snowmobiles.  Land Cruisers.  Canteenas.  Ewoks (whatever).  Lightsabers.  Millenium Falcolns.  Christ - it must have cost a fortune.  You wouldn't see me for HOURS.  Setting up scene after scene in my bedroom (my TINY bedroom) for reinacting all the way through or for just looking at, day after day.  Videos (I kept count of the times I watched the first film recorded from the TV - well over fifty in the first instance).  Directors Cut.  Wide Screen Version.  DVDs.  I'll still watch it, happily, today.  It will be no surprise to the reader that I, too, consider the three prequels to be pointless disappointments.  Star Wars is film and story-telling perfection.  Good vs Evil - OK it's been done before - but never better.

And Doctor Who.  It was "Queer as Folk" that revealed to me that Doctor Who is, for some reason, a particularly gay obsession.  I most definitely teared up when Vince asked Stuart whether he knew all the names of the Doctors in order.

William Hartnell.  Patrick Troughton.  Jon Pertwee.  Tom Baker.  Peter Davison.  Colin Baker.  Sylvester McCoy.  Paul McGann. Christopher Eccleston.  David Tennant.  Matt Smith.

Doctor Who is also story-telling perfection.  No matter what people have said in more recent times about things getting too complicated, it's successful because it's not - The Doctor, The Tardis, The Sonic Screwdriver, The Companion(s) and, of course, the Daleks.  You don't need to know anything else.

Yes - i know - I'm nearly 40.





No comments:

Post a Comment