Saturday, September 15, 2012

i wanna live for ever.....

I've aleady mentioned that "Fame" was my film of choice and, as ever, it was a wildly inappropriate choice for a ten year old - swearing, nudity, grainy 80s arthouse-y-ness!

But the TV show was a different story entirely.  And the records.  And the multiple viewings of the Albert Hall concert on video.  And attending the "Dance into Spring" Tour at Earl's Court.  With Mum and Dad.

There are a variety of obvious reasons why a kid of my disposition will have found something to love in "Fame".  The wish-fulfillment of going to a school where loving music wasn't an unusual activity or a sign of weakness.  The dancing and singing in the cafeteria.  The dancing and the singing in general.

But the music was great.  It really was.  I wore the LP all the way through, wildly conducting to "We've got the Power" and "Desdemona".   I watched the "High Fidelity" sequence a hundred times.  I sang and cried to "Starmaker" even more times.

I, of course, wanted to be Bruno - the keyboard playing composer with the wild, shaggy hair.  But I wanted to be with Danny.  The wisecracking italian comedian and actor.

I still love it.  Its energy, passion and its message has been, in part, replicated in 'Glee'.  But it was the original and the best.

Lee Curreri is still a musian.  Debbie Allen directs.  Gene Anthony Ray is gone.  And Carlo Imperato is, I think, a hot tub salesman.  *sigh*


No comments:

Post a Comment