Sunday, May 3, 2009

What's your earliest memory?

Why do so many biographies feature (or even start with) the line "my earliest memory was this..."? Does anybody really remember something like that with any repeatable precision?

Surely it's a matter of a recollection here, an image or word there. Or maybe it's just me.

For me, yes, it's a number of things.

My mum hanging my teddybear by their ears on the washing line - I'm handing them out of the window to her.

Me sitting in the pushchair - it's Winter and there's a front to the pushchair to keep me in and keep me warm - and it starts trundling down the steps in the back garden towards the gate because the brake hasn't been applied.

Going into the kitchen before bedtime, wearing my PJs, to say goodnight to my dad who's on the floor making a fort for my brother and me out of plywood. It's got battlements and a portcullis which goes up and down thanks to a piece of string that's going to be broken in a couple of weeks time.

Rolling around on the floor of my recently cleared bedroom singing "playroom...playroom...playroom".

It's just one or two memories. I'm not sure if any of them are the first or the earliest. I can't think of anything else or anything more precise.

Do they say something about me?

No comments:

Post a Comment