Thursday, December 22, 2016

Boiley and Dominance

A large portion of that year was taken up with trips to Islington and Kings Cross for zero-paid or 'profit share' jobs.  All of which were coupled with 'networking' on the periphery (otherwise known as making considerable use of the 'pub' part of 'pub theatre'.  But at one point or other I'd decided to buy a car and earn some money.

The car part was a 2CV known as Boiley, which was sold to me by a long-haired chap who did a show at the Hen & Chickens with me and who lived in an enormous house in Sussex with his family. The car cost me £200.  That friendship's high point was, without a doubt, a cast trip to the country pile in question which consisted of a day/night of smoking and a morning of playing tennis.

But the paying job was somewhat more local.  Selling advertising at the St Albans Review was an interview I sailed through after citing my experience with Olan Mills (I can't remember if mentioned this - selling photo sessions to bored housewives) and having a modicum of articulateness that seemed to elude the other two candidates who were being considered at the same time as me.

The highpoints of that experience included completing a half page advertorial on complimentary medicine treatments available in the area.  It also included a quick foray into classifieds and discovering what 'dominance' consisted of when being featured by some advertisers.  I became adept at both designing (cutting and pasting bits of artwork from a scrapbook - literally) and selling adverts - especially at 'cut down price Tuesday'.  I got into terrible rows with the 'lads' on the Reps Table and my boss (a properly rotund (unlike SG) asian chap) took great pleasure in taking the mickey out of my car - to the point where he posted sarcastic messages on the front bumper.

But the phone rang with an enquiry about running another show at the KH.  This time in the evening.   This time for proper money.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment